Saturday, May 17, 2008

Corporate Social Responsibility

I just saw a re-cap of yesterday's broadcasted news on TV and majority was reporting on the Deadly Cyclone that hitted Mynamar Yangon and the Cruelty Earthquake that shook China Sichuan so suddenly and badly that hundreds of thousands of people are dying and the dead number will still be increasing. And it really make my heart ache whenever I saw more people died and children left homeless and become orphan over one night, who they are just like ordinary people like you and me.

Yangon, Myanmar - Deadly Cyclone that caused more than thousand deads

It seems to me that these 2 heartbreaking news is a wake-up call from Mother Earth to urge everyone in this world to stop fighting, stop all the terrorist "shit" (pardon me) & stop talking about individual religion, politic & selfish benefits and just get united as one world and help out those who are desperately in priority need NOW!

Sichuan, China - epicenter for recent huge Earthquake

When my aching heart is just pounding stronger for these needy suffers, then my curiousity creeps onto my mind when the news flashed more and more businesses such as local bakery chain, Breadtalk tried to raise fund for these 2 disasterous areas by coming up with new "Panda" themed bread to sell out to consumers and use the profit earned to donate. Then it suddenly struck to me that maybe...just may some companies tried to show their HUGE Corporate Social Responsiblity (CSR) through this kind of act...and seriously I am very skeptical if these companies are really trying to help here...

Panda - a symbol of China's protected animal


Don't get me wrong, I mean it's good if these companies are really to help but back of my mind, I think otherwise... I felt they maybe trying to use this opportunity to create awareness & even profits for their own brand or products! Although it seems to be a win-win situation for both the companies as well as for the countries that needed helped but in my opinion, if someone or some companies are really out there to just help, then I don't think there's even a need to sell their products in order just to raise or donate fund which basically is through the consumers' money...


Anyway, maybe I am just too skeptical but that's just my own point of view. I mean there's still good organizations out there like the Red Cross or Myanmar Cyclone that is fully concentrated on just collecting public's funding and donation and remit & send over to China and Myanmar. So don;t get me wrong...but do you feel like I feel especially towards companies which just use CSR which may conflict with profit like Breadtalk for instance?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm..breadtalk has said that all of the proceedings from the sale of the bread will go to the quake victims, somehow, it is a win-win situation cos we are making use of breadtalk's popularity with singaporeans to raise more funds..this novel way of fundraising is definitely effective considering how much bread has been sold so far..

Belle Chua said...

Hi, I agreed with you that it's a win-win situation but somehow I felt if companies like Breadtalk really wanted to helped out, they should contribute all of their proceeds used for baking these bread straight to the fund instead. In addition, since Breadtalk's popularity is so high, then they can urge their customers to donate generously and freely by placing donation boxs and maybe giveout small tokens of appreciation to them instead.

I felt this way is a better way to urge "true & sincere" fundraising.